Protein powders are concentrated protein obtained from animal or plant sources such as dairy, eggs, rice or peas. These are available in three common forms – concentrates, isolates or hydrolysates. Concentrates are obtained by extracting proteins from whole food using enzymes or heat. They contain around 60 to 80% of protein, while the remaining is fat and carbs. Isolates are obtained by additionally filtering concentrates to get pure protein. They contain around 95% of pure protein. Hydrolysates are obtained by further heating isolates to get pure protein that can be absorbed more quickly by the body and muscles. Below are the various types of protein supplements. This way, you get vitamin supplements too. You should contact a doctor to know more about vitamins and supplements.
Types of Protein Supplements
- Whey Protein – this form of protein is obtained from milk. It is a liquid that separates from curds while making cheese. This liquid is high in protein, but also contains lactose. You can try whey protein isolate as the carbs and sugar are filtered in isolates. This protein supplement quickly digests in the body. Whey protein provides a rapid boost in amino acids and also helps to increase muscle mass and strength. It also helps to reduce appetite and promote weight loss.
- Casein Protein – casein protein is obtained from milk. It is digested and absorbed slowly by the body. Casein forms a gel on interacting with the stomach acid, thereby slowing down the emptying and digesting. It is a slow-digesting dairy protein that reduces muscle protein breakdown and promotes mass growth and fat loss.
- Egg Protein – this is a high-quality protein that is also the easiest to digest. It is one of the best foods to decrease appetite and help you stay fuller for longer. Egg protein supplements are made from egg whites and the yolks are not used. These are complex proteins that are good for people with dairy allergies.
- Pea Protein – This is a plant-based protein, popular amongst vegans and people intolerant to dairy or eggs. Peas are high-fiber legumes that have essential amino acids. This protein promotes fullness and increases muscle growth similar to that compared from animal-based protein powders.
- Hemp Protein – This one is a relatively new plant-based protein supplement. This protein contains only trace amounts of the psychoactive component THC found in marijuana. This supplement is rich in omega-3 fatty acids and many other essential amino acids. Hemp protein is easily digested.
- Brown Rice Protein – this supplement is made from brown rice and is somewhat inferior to whey protein for building muscles. It contains lower quantities of lysine. It does have beneficial effects on your body composition.
- Mixed Plant Proteins – This supplement is made from a blend of protein powders obtained from brown rice, pea, hemp, alfalfa, flax and chia seeds, quinoa and artichoke. They are high in fiber content and plant proteins tend to digest slowly.
These are the various types of protein supplements available on the market. You can ask your gym trainer or nutritionist as to which one is ideal for you.